Check out this week's updates, information, and upcoming events at Goochland High School! The Bulldog Bulletin is your weekly look into the great things happening at GHS. Go Bulldogs!
My name is Mike Wright, and I am very pleased to serve the Bulldog community. During the past week I have enjoyed getting to know our staff and students. I feel at home and part of the Bulldog family, being a former teacher and coach at GHS. My goal is for us to work together, and to continue making this a great year. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Academic Awards Night
Our Academic Awards Night will be on Monday, November 7th, at 6:30 pm in the auditorium. Parents have been contacted if you have a student who will be recognized at our ceremony. Please contact your child’s school counselor if you have any questions.
Class of 2026 ACA students and newly admitted Class of 2025 ACA students are cordially invited, along with their parents, to attend ACA Orientation on Tuesday, November 1st, at 6:30 pm. This virtual event will feature an overview of the program, including recent curriculum changes, that will help families plan over the next four years (including summers). Topics covered will include dual enrollment fee projections, course requirements, academic standards, additional supports, and transferability of credits.
We look forward to seeing you online at Google Meet!
ANG Events and Reminders
The All-Night Graduation Committee (ANG) would like you to mark your calendars for Saturday, November 5th, for their 10th Annual Noel November. Come see the many wonderful vendors, have some delicious food by Smokin' Gill's Grill and even have a picture taken with Santa.
AP Exam Registration
Hard copy forms for Advanced Placement (AP) exam registration will go home with students on Monday, October 31st through their AP course(s). Registration forms are due by Friday, November 11th! Please reach out to Dr. Rainbolt at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Athletics and Activities
Many Bulldog Teams and activities will be competing in regional competitions this week. Please visit www.GoochlandBulldogs.com for up-to-date schedule information. Many of these events can be streamed live at www.NFHSNetwork.com. Feel free to contact Joe Fowler (email@example.com) if you have any questions or need more information. Come out and support your Bulldogs!
GCPS Fall Gifted Window Now Open
The GCPS fall gifted referral window is now open! Teachers, students, parents, and community members can now complete a referral for gifted evaluation. The deadline to submit is Monday, October 31st.
Goochland identifies students as gifted in the following areas:
- English/Language Arts
- General Intellectual Aptitude
- Fine Arts (including vocal music, instrumental music, dance, acting, technical theatre, and studio arts)
- Career and Technical Aptitude
If there is a student you'd like to refer for evaluation, please contact Kecia Howell (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Goochland Baseball Hot Stove Event
The 2nd Annual Goochland Hot Stove League will be held on Saturday, November 19th, at Camp T. Brady Saunders Boy Scout Camp starting at 9:00 am. The event will include several former MLB, college players, and coaches, including the 1984 World Series Champion Johnny Grubb. There will be an opportunity for autographs, a food truck, and a silent auction. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased in advance through Ticket Spicket. All proceeds benefit the Goochland High School Baseball Program.
This event is great for athletes considering baseball beyond high school and baseball fans in general. If you love baseball, we hope you will make plans to attend the 2nd Annual Goochland Hot Stove League event!
Remote Learning Day
November 8th, Election Day, has been identified as a remote learning day for students. This means students will not come on site to school on this day.
- Instruction will be delivered asynchronously. This means our teachers will provide students with direction prior to November 8 for continued learning so that they can work independently without the need for support from an adult. We do not want to create additional stress for our families on this day.
- Teachers will be available for synchronous online academic support (i.e. Google Meet, phone conference, etc.) from 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Students and parents can access synchronous academic support by messaging teachers directly via Canvas or email prior to November 8. (Click here for directions on how to message in Canvas.) Faculty email addresses can be found by going to the GCPS home page at https://www.goochlandschools.org, selecting a school, then choosing the “Staff” button under the “Menu” header at the top of the page.
- School counselors will be available for synchronous online support from 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. Parents and/or students should reach out to their school’s counselor via Canvas or email prior to November 8 in order to arrange for an individual online appointment.
SOAR Virginia® is an Early Commitment Scholarship Program created and funded by Virginia529℠ to inspire and assist high school students in reaching their post-secondary education goals. To participate, eligible students pledge to meet program requirements. In return, students receive a range of assistance and may accumulate scholarship support of up to $2,000 to apply toward their post-secondary education expenses. The qualifications and pledge information can be found on the brochure. The deadline to apply is November 15th, 2022. Contact our GRASP Advisor, Ms. Lauren White at email@example.com to learn more.
The underclassmen's make-up day will be Monday, November 29th. Please contact Ms. Schnakenberg (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule your make-up pictures.