October in Goochland County Public Schools gives students, staff, and families opportunities to celebrate the connection between schools and local farms and focus on the healthy food choices available in school lunches.
Beginning with Virginia’s Farm to School Week, October 4-8:
· On October 5, during “Crunch Heard ‘Round the Commonwealth”, GHS teacher Danny Allen’s students will distribute Virginia-grown apples to all classrooms at the secondary complex. Elementary students will receive Virginia-grown apples through delivery by cafeteria staff or in their school cafeterias.
· ThorneBrook Farms will partner with GCPS to provide local grass-fed beef that will be served on the lunch menu of all schools on October 6. At GHS, Chef David Booth’s culinary students will share locally grown food in the cafeteria.
· For the last day of Farm to School Week, Danny Allen and his students will be making homemade apple butter with Virginia-grown apples.
National School Lunch Week is October 11-15:
· All GCPS school cafeterias will celebrate the week with fun giveaways – stickers, bookmarks, rulers, pencils.
· On Friday, a special frozen treat will be available to students.