Goochland High School Learning Commons
Open 7:30 am – 4 pm daily
Virtual Updates 2020
We now have a virtual library. Go to https://soraapp.com/library/goochlandva and use your GCPS Google account to access e-books and audiobooks. You can even download these to your computer, so you don’t need internet to access them!
Use the following form to request any books you want added to our virtual library: https://forms.gle/Ebpb6SeY2xXFR7hQ6
Access the Google Folder below to get information on MLA citation, APA citation, Reliable Sources, Using our Databases, and more!
About the Learning Commons
The high school Learning Commons is a dynamic learning space that supports every teacher and student at Goochland High School. With over 25,000 materials available, including books, videos, and technology, the media center is a great place for researching, checking-out the latest best seller, accessing any number of online educational resources, or chilling as you wait for your next class.The Learning Commons is a space for students, teachers, staff, and parents to use and enjoy.
Hours: 7:30 am – 4pm
Who are your librarians?
Mrs. Kurth, Library Media Specialist: She is the Learning Common’s head librarian. Mrs. Kurth has her Master’s in Secondary English Education and a Master’s in School Librarianship. She loves helping students with research and learning new things.
Mrs. DiTerlizzi, Library Media Assistant: She is our Learning Common’s assistant. Mrs. D has a background in Computer Science and has been at GHS for nearly 15 years. She loves helping students find a book they will love.
What the Learning Commons has to offer:
- The Help Desk: The Technology Helpdesk is located directly behind the circulation desk. Students with computer issues should visit the Helpdesk before school, during Bulldog Block or Lunch to have their laptop repaired.
- Books: A range of books from fiction to nonfiction, including e-books and audiobooks. Our fiction section is genrefied, so students can easily find books they like.
- Space: The Learning Commons is broken down into four spaces. We have the cold side with our fiction texts; this side includes a chess/checker table, comfy chairs, and tables with desks, along with an Apple TV. Our middle section includes high top desks for individual/pair work, couches, and rolling sitting cubes; this also houses our circulation desk and help desk. The hot side includes tables with desks facing our promethean board and an Apple TV. This side also includes our cubbies for group work, along with three more Apple TVs, one with access to an Xbox and couches/comfy chairs.
- Technology: We have a 3D printer for student and teacher use, along with a Glowforge, laser cutter. We have five Apple TVs and a promethean board. We also house iPads that can be checked out by teachers for lessons.
- Other: We have two vending machines: one with snacks and one with sodas. We have a Keurig – students may purchase coffee, tea, or hot chocolate for a dollar. We also have an Xbox students may use during down time. There are charging stations for phones and laptops, as well.
Phone: (804) 556-5322 EXT. 4712
Book Catalog (see what books you have access to): LC Catalog
- Grolier Online Encyclopedia A site to receive basic information about a subject, includes articles, images, videos and web sites. The articles are listed by grade level and include bibliographic information at the end of the article. The articles and web links have been researched and are authoritative, current and reliable. The site also includes helps for teachers and librarians. May be used from home, ask your Library Media Specialist for the password.
- SIRS Knowledge Source This site includes three broad databases: SIRS Researcher (General Reference), SIRS Government Reporter (Information By and About the US Government) and SIRS Renaissance (Arts and Humanities). One search window allows you to search all databases. Their portfolio of assets, including content, technologies and deep expertise, drives better research outcomes for users and greater efficiency for the libraries and organizations that serve them. Includes a “Trending Pro/Con Leading Issues” list for current happenings. Advanced searching tab and links to your Google account promotes easier research and organizational skills. Tip: Search by the “Keyword” instead of “Subject” for better results with normal conversational words.
- Gale DatabasesThis provides us with access to magazines, newspapers and journals. Biography In Context is an engaging online experience for those seeking contextual information on the world’s most influential people. Advanced searching tab and links to your Google account promotes easier research and organizational skills. Includes bibliographic information at the end of the article. Articles have been researched and are authoritative, current and reliable. You may search all databases at the same time by selecting the All Cross-Searchable Products button. The password may be obtained from your Library Media Specialist.
Virtual Library – use your GCPS Google Login to access e-books and audiobooks: https://soraapp.com/library/goochlandva