As we begin a new school year, here are a few reminders to help your first few days back go smoothly! On the first day of school, Goochland High School will officially open to students at 8:00 am with a Day 1 schedule. All students will report directly to their homeroom locations (posted on bright pink paper around the school and attached) at the 8:15 bell for updated schedules (printed on purple paper). Students should follow the schedule on the purple paper and ignore any previously distributed schedules. As we continue to balance classes and to work through scheduling conflicts, some schedules may be altered slightly from those handed out on Back to School Night. Students, if there is an open block or error in your schedule, please see your school counselor first thing in the morning. All other changes will be considered after a student has attended the class at least once. Students have the first two weeks of school to turn in a signed change request form. These forms are available in the school counseling office. A huge thanks to Mrs. Wilborn and our school counselors Dr. Fowler, Mr. Getter and Ms. Guza for working tirelessly on our master schedule.
Students will remain in their assigned Bulldog Blocks for their first week with no travel to allow them the opportunity to pay fees. We will also review updates to the GHS Student Handbook during this time. AUP forms will be collected through English classes during laptop distribution days this week and next, but all other forms distributed on Back-To-School Night will be collected through Bulldog Blocks.
The Technology Department will distribute MacBook Airs to juniors and seniors through their English classes on Wednesday, August 21st and Thursday, August 22nd. Freshman and sophomores will receive laptops through their English classes on Friday, August 23rd and Monday, August 26th. Only students who have their signed AUP and have paid their insurance fees will be allowed to collect a laptop. Students, if you haven’t already paid the $30 laptop insurance fee, you can use our Online Payment System. Remember, GCPS is picking up the service fee! For payment plans or for waiving the insurance coverage, please contact Mr. Nash (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We have a few procedure reminders for students, also:
- Please review the Goochland County Public Schools Code of Conduct regulations regarding dress code and other school policies. We will continue to allow students to wear hats in the building, but GHS does not allow students to wear hoods or bandanas of any color.
- This year we have a new Classroom Cell Phone Policy. Students will not be allowed to use their cell phones during instructional time unless directed by their teacher. Please refer to the GHS Student Handbook for details.
- Per federal regulations, no outside food vendors are allowed to sell or distribute food during school hours. Our cafeteria staff has worked extremely hard to provide our students with different food options.
- The high school student drop-off area is located in the back stadium parking lot. Take advantage of the short line in the back, as opposed to joining the middle school drop-off line in the front.
- As we are unable to provide supervision after school, students are asked to leave campus prior to evening activities. Any student who wants to stay after school must be accompanied by an adult.
- Students who attend classes in the G-Tech building will need to meet in the front bus loop once the bell rings for the block. We have a shuttle bus that will pick-up and drop-off students throughout the day. Students are not allowed to drive to G-Tech except with explicit permission from an administrator.
Attendance in school has a huge impact on a student’s academic success, and families play a key role in making sure students make it to school on-time each day. The Virginia Department of Education asks schools to report chronic absenteeism each year, which is included in their School Quality Profile. While I’m excited to announce that we made great progress last year, we still have a lot of work to do and need help from our students and parents. As in previous years, we ask that parents call the school between 8:00 am -10:00 am to report their child’s absence. Students who are absent must bring a note on the first day they return to school stating the reason(s) for their absences. Notes are held as legal records of student absences. In addition, students wishing to leave school early without their parents present must bring a WRITTEN excuse signed by their parents by 10:00 am the day of the early dismissal. In the case of an emergency, parents may call in and ask for administrative approval for an early dismissal over the phone. Please assist us by following these policies throughout the school year, so that we can continue to provide our students with a safe learning environment and ensure they receive the exceptional instruction our teachers provide.
Our team will continue to work with our students and parents during the first few weeks of school to clarify school expectations regarding school policies and procedures. We want to ensure that we provide our students with as few distractions to the learning environment as possible. We look forward to our continued partnerships with our students, parents and community members to uphold the standard of excellence at Goochland High School.