About the Learning Commons
The high school Learning Commons is a dynamic learning space that supports every teacher and student at Goochland High School. With over 25,000 materials available, including books, videos, and technology, the media center is a great place for researching, checking-out the latest best seller, accessing any number of online educational resources, or chilling as you wait for your next class.The Learning Commons is a space for students, teachers, staff, and parents to use and enjoy.
Hours: 7:30 am – 4pm
Who are your librarians?
Mrs. Kurth, Library Media Specialist: She is the Learning Common’s head librarian. Mrs. Kurth has her Master’s in Secondary English Education and a Master’s in School Librarianship. She loves helping students with research and learning new things.
Mrs. DiTerlizzi, Library Media Assistant: She is our Learning Common’s assistant. Mrs. D has a background in Computer Science and has been at GHS for nearly 15 years. She loves helping students find a book they will love.
What the Learning Commons has to offer:
- The Help Desk: The Technology Helpdesk is located directly behind the circulation desk. Students with computer issues should visit the Helpdesk before school, during Bulldog Block or Lunch to have their laptop repaired.
- Books: A range of books from fiction to nonfiction, including e-books and audiobooks. Our fiction section is genrefied, so students can easily find books they like.
- Space: The Learning Commons is broken down into four spaces. We have the cold side with our fiction texts; this side includes a chess/checker table, comfy chairs, and tables with desks, along with an Apple TV. Our middle section includes high top desks for individual/pair work, couches, and rolling sitting cubes; this also houses our circulation desk and help desk. The hot side includes tables with desks facing our promethean board and an Apple TV. This side also includes our cubbies for group work, along with three more Apple TVs, one with access to an Xbox and couches/comfy chairs.
- Technology: We have a 3D printer for student and teacher use, along with a Glowforge, laser cutter. We have five Apple TVs and a promethean board. We also house iPads that can be checked out by teachers for lessons.
- Other: We have two vending machines: one with snacks and one with sodas. We have a Keurig – students may purchase coffee, tea, or hot chocolate for a dollar. We also have an Xbox students may use during down time. There are charging stations for phones and laptops, as well.
Phone: (804) 556-5322 EXT. 4712